Saturday, October 04, 2008

Sensibilities lost in senseless competition

Normally I do not watch any reality shows very religiously (I mean, with keen interest). But over a dinner, just happened to see the latest episode of "Ek khiladi ek haseena" telecast on Colors. In this episode, the performance given by Harbhajan Singh and Mona Singh was on a romantic song "You're my love" (from the movie "Partner"). So far no issues...but, what was it? They played on some completely unthoughtof and just distasteful idea! Bhajji and Mona enacted as holy Ramayana characters "Ravan" and "Sita". It is highly offensive in respect of the Indian culture. More so, in the auspicious days of Navratri.

How can someone presumably use the highly respected character of Sita from one of the world's most sacrosant epics in such a way?? Shame on everyone associated with the performance.

To show the protest, my friend and I have written to editors of CNN-IBN and TimesNow.
Let's see if they take some action.

I do not expect them to play the clips from the episode on TV.

No comments: